· What is SEO?
SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. It is a process, in which a web page or a web site is optimized for search engines. By optimization, a search engine such as Google finds the page, includes it in the index, and displays the page when someone is searching for information.
· Why SEO is required?
Unfortunately, billions of web pages are indexed, and millions of web pages are being added every day. It is not sufficient to be included in any search engine index, but also important that potential customer (or information seekers) visit your website. When searching for any product or service, usually, people go no deeper than 3-4 pages. If your web page is embedded deep in the search results, it is unlikely that anyone visit your web page. Therefore, you need to improve the visibility of your web site (or web pages contained in your web site). The answer to this is: Search Engine Optimization.
· Can I do it myself?
Yes, you can. But you need to spend time on the following:
1. Familiarize with leading search engines and directories.
2. Know your web site key phrases, and redesign if required.
3. Take care that the website doesn't get banned, for something that you think is not your fault. (For example, linking between sites excessively with a goal of artificially boosting the link popularity may get your website banned)
4. You have time, and resources at your hand.
5. Website promotion schedules are not critical, in the sense, that you can afford to experiment and learn.
· What are the advantages of outsourcing the web promotion work?
There are several advantages:
1. SEO professionals with proven track record will be working on your site.
2. You can concentrate on selling your company's products and services.
3. Better customer satisfaction.
4. You can be assured that there would be measurable performance improvement in your website.
· What I need to check before choosing an SEO company?
Ask for the following:
1. If they have already done search engine optimization on any web sites? If so, ask for the kind of improvement, and the time scale in which it was achieved.
2. Enquire if they guarantee performance improvement. If they don't demonstrate any performance improvement, whether your money would be refunded.
3. Ask for monthly performance reports based on your industry keywords, for leading search engines.
4. Know if they submit the website to leading directories also.
· What I need to provide to an SEO company?
You need to provide (preferably):
1. Key phrases for which your website need to be optimized (Ask the SEO for help if are not sure)
2. A minor or sometimes major redesign of the website. If your website is selling any e-commerce goods and services, it is very important to optimize the website using appropriate web design technologies.
· How much does it cost?
You need to calculate ROI for this purpose. Usually, SEO is much cheaper than PPC campaigns.
· How long will it take before I see results of SEO?
It normally takes any where between 2 weeks to 6 weeks. However, results can vary drastically, depending on how competitive the market is that you're looking to be found. If someone promises huge performance improvement at a cheap cost, please be aware of any spamming techniques. These techniques may get your site banned in long run. Ultimately, it is the Return On Investment (ROI) that matters.